Historic Preservation Commission
Members are appointed by the Mayor, subject to City Council approval, for three-year terms.
|Bruce Boertje (Vice-Chair)||January 1, 2025|
|Don André||January 1, 2025|
|Rhonda Kermode (Chair)||January 1, 2027|
|Lila Turnbull||January 1, 2024|
|Lorinda Bradley||January 1, 2027|
The Historic Preservation Commission was established in 2014 and is currently a 5-member board.
- Conduct studies for the identification and designation of historic districts and landmarks. Make a recommendation to the State Historic Preservation Office for the listing of a historic district or landmark in the National Register of Historic Places and may conduct a public hearing thereon.
- Make a recommendation to the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council on the adoption of ordinances designating historic landmarks and historic districts if they qualify as per established Historic District ordinance.
- Provide information for the purpose of historic preservation to the City Council.
- Promote and conduct an educational and interpretive program on historic properties within its jurisdiction.
Historic District Designation Application
The Historic District Designation Application (PDF) is intended to highlight the City’s historic district ordinance and provide general guidance related to the establishment of a historic district. After reviewing the application, applicants should make contact with the City’s Planning and Zoning Department to discuss the details and administrative requirements to avoid significant delays and or invalidation.
Local Historic Districts
Listed below are the local historic districts in the City of Pella. All properties located within a local historic district require review by the City of Pella Historic Preservation Commission prior to doing work that requires a building permit. Please call the Planning and Zoning Department at 641.628.0043 to discuss proposed updates to your property.
Collegiate Neighborhood Historic District (established in 2021)
Scholte Garden Historic District (established in 2023)
Proposed Historic Districts
- McClatchey Mill Historic District (not yet established)