The Pella Public Library has a collection of local history, including family histories, yearbooks, cemetery records, and back issues of the Pella Chronicle on microfilm which can be found in the Heritage Room.
The Pella Genealogy Club generally meets at the library on the third Thursday of each month at 10:15 a.m., with occasional meetings in the evening. In February, 2020 we will be holding a special evening series, Your Genealogy. This learning series will provide a straightforward approach to starting your family history. Topics will include what information to look for and demonstrations will be provided on where to find useful information. Beginning and experienced genealogists will find useful tips to creating and expanding their knowledge of their personal genealogy. Check here to learn what topics are being discussed, and other useful information.
- Iowa GenWeb Project, Marion County - IAGenWeb is part of the USGenWeb Project, a group of volunteers working together to provide Internet websites for genealogical research in every county and every state of the United States. The Project is non-commercial and fully committed to free access for everyone.
- Newspapers online - Search back issues of the Pella Chronicle and other local newspapers.
- Search the Pella Souvenir History and its index. This book covers Pella history from 1847 to 1922.
- Search The History of Marion County, Iowa (1881) at Google books
- Read The History of Marion County, Iowa and its people by John W. Wright (1915) at the Internet Archive
- Search Pioneers of Marion County at Google books
- HeritageQuest - Do family history and genealogy research online. You will need your library card to access HeritageQuest.
- FindAGrave - Locate where a person is buried.
- Iowa Gravestone Photo Project
- Dutch Genealogy Dictionary
- Pella Public Library Digital Collections site has scanned historical documents and photographs from the library collection
Other Local Libraries
- Marion County Genealogical Society - The Marion County Genealogical Society’s collection is located at the Knoxville Public Library. See their websites for more information.
- Geisler Library Archives at Central College - The purpose of the archive is to document the history of Central College. Research appointments must be scheduled in advance.
- Pella Historical Society - The Pella Historical Society Library is located in the Historical Village. Visit their website for hours of operation and contact information. Volunteers may be available to help with research. Call ahead to make an appointment.