The Pella Public Library offers in-person and online story times for children of all ages. Join us for songs, silliness, and fun! The fall story time session will run from September 12 to December 20, 2023. Winter/Spring sessions will start on January 9, 2024.
Please "Like" and "Follow" the Pella Public Library on Facebook to see up-to-date information about story times.
All ages are welcome to participate. If you have any questions, please get in touch with Miss Katie in the Children's Department.
Online Story Time
Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m.
Click here to get registered. Search "Story Time - Google Meet" in our online calendar. You only need to sign up once, as the link is the same each time.
These will not be recorded or archived due to publisher requirements for temporary read-aloud permissions. Participants must register to receive a link and password.
InPerson Story Time
Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m.
Story time is open for all ages, with caregivers attending and participating.
Playtime and Perks
Join us on Mondays and Thursdays from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. in the Library Meeting Room for some playtime! Miss Katie will have toys and other items for kids to enjoy while grown-ups enjoy some perks, aka coffee! This will be an unstructured time (no story time nor staff supervision), just a time for kids to play, which is also an essential part of growing up. Parents/caregivers must stay in the room with the children while attending the program. Caregivers are welcome to bring their coffee as well. Playtime and Perks runs from November to March.
Summer Library Program
The Summer Library Program will start June 1, 2024!
The Early Literacy Program is for children 0-2 years. Parents will complete the early literacy activities with their children. It is never too early to start
Read to Me Program is for children 2 years old–PreK. For every 10 days of reading, you earn a prize. You can earn a total of 4 prizes. Adults will be doing the reading with the children for this program.
School Age Program is for children who have just finished grades K-5. For every 10 days of reading, you earn a prize. You can earn a total of 4 prizes. Parents are welcome to read to their kids in this program, but kids are encouraged to read on their own. Those just finishing 5th grade have the option of the School Age or the Teen Program.
Teen Summer Reading Program is for 5th graders to those who have just graduated high school. Participants will read as much as they want. For every 10 days of reading, you will earn an entry into the drawing for the Grand Prize of "Create Your Own Converse" or a gift card to your choice of a business/store! You can also increase your entries by participating in programs and completing the activity badges!
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Did you know that if you read one (1) story every day for 5 years that would equal 1,825 stories read!
How the program works:
1. Any child from birth to before entering Kindergarten can participate in the program.
2. Register on our new online reading tracker, Beanstack, at https://pella.beanstack.com/reader365
3. After receiving each badge on Beanstack, come to the library to receive a small incentive. Multiple children in a family may do the program. Each child will have an account on Beanstack to keep track of their badges.
4. When you reach 1,000 books your child will receive a certificate. You will also be invited to attend our 1,001 party!
For more information on the program click here!
- Pella Christian AR
- Links to the AR lists for the Pella Christian grade schools
- Pella Community AR
- AR quiz search for the Pella Community School District
- Iowa Reading Research Center
- Provides an online collection of literacy resources available to the public for teaching and learning, for homeschooling, and for educator research
- Homework Help Links
- Various websites to help children with their homework.