New construction will require a permit. Exterior home improvement projects such as additions, fences, sheds, or decks will require a permit. Replacement of existing structures may also require a permit, while repairs may not. Interior home improvement projects involving electrical work will also require a permit.
Commercial / Industrial / Institutional
New construction will require a permit. Exterior improvement projects such as additions, fences, or accessory buildings will require a permit. Interior improvement (remodel) projects will also require a permit.
A minimum of three business days is needed for processing a standard permit. Incomplete permits, permits requiring variances, or permits involving site plans will require extended processing time and/or committee approval. All inspections must be scheduled 24 hours in advance. Requests for inspections are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please check with the Building Official via email Jerry Byers for permit and inspection requirements. Jerry can be reached at 641.628.0043.
- Building Addition Information (PDF)
- Electrical Permit Summary (PDF)
- Fees (PDF)
- Property Line Location (PDF)
- Two-Mile Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (PDF)
- Types of Permits (PDF)
- Variance Application (PDF)
Residential Building Permits
- Residential 1- or 2-Family (PDF) (includes new construction, decks, additions)
Commercial / Industrial / Institutional Permits
- CBD Outdoor Seating Permit (PDF)
- Commercial / Industrial / Institutional Building Permit (PDF)
- Design Permit (PDF)
- Sign Permit (PDF)