Creating and retaining the vision of a heritage destination remains a critical challenge of any city government. Working together with new ideas in retail and housing developments while still retaining the character and identity of established community and businesses is often a delicate balance. It is the desire of the City of Pella to remain strong in its vision by retaining its long-term integrity through the reflection of the buildings and signage in our community.
The City of Pella has set forth zoning guidelines to:
- Classify property in a manner that reflects its suitability for specific uses
- Encourage compatibility of adjacent land uses
- Further the objectives of the Comprehensive Development Plan of the City of Pella
- Protect environmentally sensitive areas
- Provide for sound and attractive development within the City and its jurisdiction
- Serve the public health, safety, and general welfare of the City and its jurisdiction
The City of Pella has also set guidelines for subdivision regulations in Chapter 170 of the City Code. The purpose of these guidelines is to prescribe minimum requirements for the design and development of new subdivisions and re-subdivisions of land. Subdivision regulations work in conjunction with the Zoning Ordinance to assist in controlling the future development of the City by regulating the uses of land, the size of lots, the height and bulk of buildings, the density of population, and the locations and uses of buildings and structures for residences, commerce, industry, and other purposes, including the public welfare, health, and safety.
Should you have questions pertaining to the Zoning Ordinance or subdivision regulations please contact the Planning and Zoning Director.
- 28E Agreement
- Chapter 170 Subdivision Regulations
- Chapter 165 Zoning Regulations
- Zoning Districts - Setback Regulations (PDF)
Design Standards and Color Palettes
- City of Pella Architectural Design Guidelines (PDF)
- Dutch Residential Design Manual (DURE)
- Central Business District Outdoor Seating Guidelines (PDF)
- Benjamin Moore Historic Color Palette
- Sherwin-Williams Historic Color Palette
- Diamond Vogel Historic Color Palette